You are here
Values, science and technology
Science and technology are today shaping the ecological, economic, and political conditions of present and future human societies to an historically unprecedented extent. They are profoundly affecting our self-understanding as human beings, thus changing the ways in which we interact with each other as well as those in which we relate to non-human animals and the biosphere at large. With the activities under this research line ISR contributes to an analysis of the ethical implications of the ever more complex role that science and technology play in contemporary human life. Paying particular attention to the areas of life sciences/biotechnology and computer science/ICT, we explore the argumentative potentials inherent in the value systems proposed by religious traditions and secular ethics in order to bring them to bear in critical reflections on the normative challenges arising from scientific and technological progress.
Related research, conference and teaching activities
- Arguing Religion, ISR research project investigating the reach of argumentative debate in responding to religious disagreements
- Aspects of Human Enhancement, research and publication project on the ethical implications of technological approaches to increasing human performance in various domains
- COST Action CHIP ME, EU-funded network in public health genomics (Horizon 2020)
- Ethics and Technology/Etica e tecnologie, educational project with high-schools from the Province of Trento
- Bring the Food, collaborative project with the ICT4G Research Unit (FBK-ICT) led by Adolfo Villafiorita on the social and cultural meanings of food in light of the battle against food wastage. Paolo Costa, Claudio Ferlan, Adolfo Villafiorita (eds.), Chi porta da mangiare? Il cibo tra eccessi e scarsità (FBK-PRESS, 2013); RAI-TV | Alla ricerca di FBK "Bring the Food".
- Sources of information online: the web as a tool for argumentation, course at the Trentino School of Management, April 2016
- Per un nuovo lessico famigliare, concluded project on medically assisted reproduction funded by the Autonomous Province of Trento
- Quale Scelta? Decisioni etiche per il computer, FBK organised event on the topic of artificial intelligence and machine ethics at the Festival della Scienza, Genova October 2015
- Quelle identité de l’éthique théologique aujourd’hui? Pour quel service? Congress of the Association de théologiens pour l’étude de la morale (ATEM), FBK-ISR, August 2015
- Ethics between argumentation and narration, international workshop, FBK-ISR, November 2014
- The two cultures/Le due culture, quantitative and qualitative survey project on the relation between natural sciences/technology and social sciences/humanities in FBK. Paolo Costa e Liria Veronesi, "Le due culture in FBK: un’indagine empirica".