Religion and Violence
Since September 2013 the Center for Religious Studies has presented interdisciplinary workshops and seminars on the role of religion as a factor with for organized violence and for peace building.
The aim of this project is to analyze the relationship between “religion” and violence, considering “religion” not as an independent and decontextualized variable, but as a factor linked to politics, society, culture, economy and ethics. The following questions lead the research:
- If and how is possible violence in the name of religion;
- If and how religion changes while interacting with violence;
- Why does violence need to appeal to religion?
- If and how religion could play a role to mitigate violence;
- Which is the relationship among divine images, religious imageries and violence?
The project will address these questions in an interdisciplinary horizon, considering six perspectives:
- the role of the sacred texts;
- the impact and the role of religion in the globalized and partially secularized world;
- the relationship between religious imagery and socio-political practices;
- the anthropological philosophical dimension deal with the relation between religious imaginary and socio-political practices of individual and group;
- the religious science approach: this shall clear the difference among faiths, religions and theology and the way in which they take in part to the dynamics between religion and violence;
- the importance of the women in the conflicts.
Despite of the impossibility of resolving these issues, this interdisciplinary research will contribute to a better understanding of the contemporary context.
10 October 2017 — 12 October 2017What is the role of sacred texts and related theories in shaping political frames more incline to tolerance and pluralism or on the contrary to radicalism and violence? What is the resulting role of religion in violent conflicts? Starting from these questions, aim of the conference is to analyze the various roles of sacred texts in different religious and cultural traditions.More info
20 April 2016The seminar is part of the project Religion and Violence: religions and faith as builders of peace and as a way out of radicalism, coordinated from Debora Tonelli.More info
15 April 2015 | 10:30 — 13:00Ciclo di seminari interni su “Violenza e Religione”, per condividere le proprie competenze nei rispettivi campi di studio e verificare la possibilità di elaborare progetti di ricerca comuni.More info
18 October 2013 | 15:30 — 17:30Il manuale di Eliseo Masini, Il sacro arsenale, è una sofisticata pratica del processo inquisitoriale dove tortura e interrogatori raggiungono un alto livello di ritualizzazione.More info
27 September 2013 | 18:00 — 21:00Quali sono le relazioni fra dimensione politica e dimensione religiosa? Quali legami esistono tra conflitti politici e religione, ovvero tra violenza e religione? In quali modi e con quali metodi è possibile decifrarli per comprenderli e quindi affrontarli?More info